The Costa Mesa Sanitary District (CMSD) sponsors a FREE Door-to-door Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection Program for all CMSD solid waste customers. Eligible residents can receive up to three (3) HHW pickups per year and each pickup has a maximum limit of 15 gallons or 125 lbs of HHW. CMSD's trash hauler, CR&R, carries out the service. Upon receiving a pickup request, CR&R verifies the quantity and types of HHW that will be collected and then schedules a collection date. CR&R will provide information on how to properly store and package the materials. On the collection day, residents must place the bags or containers in front of their house by 7:00 a.m. The resident does not need to be home when the items are collected. To schedule an HHW pickup, call CR&R Customer Service at (949) 646-4617 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Additionally, HHW pickups can be scheduled online through our Service Requests feature. Simply select "Trash," "Household Hazardous Waste," enter your address and the list of items that you would like collected, and provide your contact information. You will be notified of your scheduled pickup date through your provided method of contact.
*Please note that only CMSD residents are eligible for this program. Residents who use dumpsters at their property are not eligible for this program.
Household Hazardous Waste materials collected through this program include:
- Electronic Waste: televisions, computer-related items, printers, copiers, cell phones, stereos, speakers, scanners, cables, and other small appliances
- Universal Waste: household batteries, fluorescent tubes/bulbs, mercury-containing/neon/high intensity discharge/metal halide/sodium bulbs, mercury thermostats, electrical switches, pilot light sensors, mercury gauges, and emptied aerosol cans.
- Cleaning Products: aerosols, bathroom cleaners, chlorine bleach, solvents, spot removers, oven cleaners, run and floor cleaners, furniture polish, and drain cleaners.
- Automobile Maintenance Products: car waxes, starting fluids, solvent cleaners, antifreeze, repair products, batteries, brake fluid, motor oil, and gasoline.
- Home Improvement Products: oil based stains and paints, liquid latex paint, caulking, varnish, paint thinners, chemical strippers, contact cement fire extinguishers, kerosene, lighter fluid, and pool chemicals.
- Personal Care Items: nail polish and remover, and hair color.
- Pet Care Items: flea collars and sprays.
- Lawn/Garden Care: weed and pest killers, insect repellents, insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, and other lawn chemicals.
- Sharps: needles and syringes.
Other means of disposing of HHW:
There are also four (4) Orange County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facilities where HHW can be dropped off. Learn more HERE.
Fluorescent light bulbs/tubes, electronics, and household batteries can also be disposed of at the OCC Recycling Center. Learn more HERE.