Solid Waste Frequently Asked Questions

Our goal is to provide excellent customer service, educate our community, and answer your questions. If your questions does not appear below, please contact us by phone or email.

  • How am I billed for trash service?

    A. CMSD's customers pay for their solid waste and wastewater services through their property tax bill. Solid waste and wastewater fees appear on the property tax bill as special assessments. To view your property tax bill, visit the Orange County Property Tax website.

  • Does the District recycle?

    A. Yes, the District recycles over 60% of the trash collected! Customers can place a mixture of recyclables and miscellaneous trash in their Mixed Waste Carts, and both food and yard waste in the Organics Recycling Carts. CR&R collects the trash and transports the Mixed Waste to the Materials Recovery Facility, where it gets manually and mechanically sorted to recover the maximum amount of recyclables. Organics are taken to the Anaerobic Digestion Facility, where they are recycled into compost and renewable natural gas used to fuel CR&R’s collection fleet.

  • Does the District collect all of Costa Mesa's trash?

    A. No. The Costa Mesa Sanitary District collects and recycles residential trash from single family residences and small multi-family residences (with 4 units or less).  The City of Costa Mesa is responsible for the collection and recycling of trash from larger multi-family residences and businesses. For information about multi-family and business trash collection, please visit

  • How many trash carts are included in my service?

    A. Standard service includes up to two 64-gallon Mixed Waste Carts and up to two 64-gallon Organics Recycling Carts per residential unit. Additional carts can be requested for an extra cost of $9.00 per month, per cart.

  • What can I put in my trash carts?

    A.Recyclables like glass, tin, aluminum, plastics, paper, and cardboard can all go into your Mixed Waste Cart, along with non-recyclable items like soiled paper, Styrofoam, and diapers. To reduce contamination between waste types, residents are encouraged to separate clean recyclables from soiled waste within the cart. The Organics Recycling Cart is used for organic materials like yard waste (grass, leaves, weeds, prunings, etc.) and food waste (fruit and vegetable scraps, old leftovers, meat, dairy, coffee grounds, etc.).

  • What is considered hazardous waste?

    A. The following materials are considered hazardous waste and must not be placed in your trash carts:
    Motor oil, motor oil filters, paints and solvents, transmission fluid, gasoline, medical waste (e.g. hypodermic needles), batteries, anti-freeze, pesticides and herbicides, cleaners (e.g. spot removers, oven cleaner, etc), e-waste (e.g. electronic devices, televisions, computers, fluorescent lamps and tubes, etc.). These items can be picked up curbside FREE of charge through the District's Door-to-Door HHW Collection program.

  • Can I have Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) collected at my curbside?

    A. Yes. CMSD sponsors a FREE Door-to-Door HHW Collection program for all CMSD solid waste customers. Call CR&R Customer Service at (949) 646-4617 Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to schedule a pick-up.

  • Where do I place my trash cans on collection day?

    A. Containers should be placed at curbside no later than 6:00 a.m. on collection day.  Containers must be placed side-by-side approximately 1' foot apart and at least 3' feet from any obstruction. (i.e. fire hydrant, cars, trees, etc.)  Containers should be placed with the handles and wheels facing away from the street. Containers should be removed from curbside within 12 hours after service.  Items not in containers will not be collected. 

  • Can I request an additional trash can?

    A. Yes.  Additional cans cost $9.00 a month per can.  Please contact CR&R at (949) 646-4617 to request an additional trash can.

  • Which holidays result in trash collection delays?

    A. Trash collection will be delayed one day following the observed holidays below.

    New Year’s Day
    Memorial Day
    4th of July
    Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Christmas Day

    Please note:  If your regular trash service day occurs before a holiday, your service day remains the same.

  • Where can I redeem recyclables for California Redemption Value (CRV)?

    A. The Orange Coast College Recycling Center buys back CRV beverage containers. For more information, pelase visit our OCC Recycling Center webpage.