Weekly Curbside Collection
The Costa Mesa Sanitary District provides residential curbside trash collection and recycling services to single family homes and multi-family homes with 4 units or less. Each residential unit receives up to two 64-gallon Mixed Waste Carts to dispose of refuse and recycling material and up to two 64-gallon Organics Carts to dispose of organic waste (including yard waste and food waste). In 2015, the District became the first agency in Southern California to recycle residential organics waste! To learn more, visit our Organics Recycling Program webpage.
|Two-Cart Recycling System Flyers:|
|English Flyer||Spanish Flyer|
Special Collection Programs
In addition to the weekly curbside collection services, District solid waste customers are eligible for the following special collection programs:
- Large Item Collection: up to three (3) Large Item Pickups per calendar year
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection: up to three (3) Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) pickups per calendar year
- Sharps Disposal: drop box sites and doorstep pickup
- Medication Disposal: drop box sites and safe destruction instructions
- American Flag Retirement: drop box site
- Christmas Tree Recycling: curbside collection
Trash Hauler Information
Phone: (949) 646-4617
Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Solid Waste Agreements
Waste Disposal Agreement (WDA) between the County of Orange and the Costa Mesa Sanitary District: Waste Disposal Agreement
Trash Cart Placement
Per CMSD Ordinance No. 100, curbside trash carts shall abide by the following placement provisions:
- Carts should be placed at the curb or in the alley for collection no earlier than 5:00 p.m. on the evening before the scheduled collection day.
- Carts should be placed in the following position for weekly collection:
- Wheels and handle facing toward the residence
- Side-by-side, approximately one (1) foot apart and at least three (3) feet from any obstructions (i.e. parked cars, fire hydrant, etc.)
- No trash on top of the cart, next to the cart, or overflowing from the cart (Note: any trash that does not fit within the cart will not be collected. For bulky items or excess trash, please schedule a Large Item Pickup)
- Carts should be removed from the curb or alley by midnight on the day of collection and should be stored in the rear or side yard of the property, so as to be out of view from the street
Questions or Requests?
If you have any trash related questions or requests, please use the following resources:
- For service requests, such as reporting a missed pickup or requesting a large item pickup, please submit a request online.
- To find answers to commonly asked questions, please visit our Solid Waste FAQs page.
- If you're unable to find an answer to your question, please contact District staff at (949) 645-8400 during our business hours or email us.