Welcome to the Costa Mesa Sanitary District!
Standard Trash Service
The District collects residential trash from your curbside trash carts once per week. To find out when your trash day is and how trash is collected, please visit our Solid Waste Collection Day webpage. Your standard service includes the following trash carts:
- Mixed Waste Carts: Up to two (2) 64-gallon Mixed Waste Carts (smaller carts are available upon request)
- Accepted items: plastics, glass, aluminum, tin, paper, cardboard, Styrofoam, and miscellaneous landfill waste
- Organics Recycling Carts: Up to two (2) 64-gallon Organics Recycling Carts (smaller carts are available upon request)
- Accpeted items: grass, leaves, weeds, prunings, flowers, small branches, fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, bread, dairy, coffee grounds/filters/tea bags, cooking fats/oils/grease, and compostable bags/products
- Note: Some properties are exempt from the Organics Recycling Program if they lack sufficient space for Organics Recycling Carts and/or have minimal landscaping. For more information, click HERE.
|Two-Cart Recycling System Flyer:|
Holiday Collection Schedule
There is no trash collection on the holidays listed below:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independency Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
Collection is delayed by one (1) day for the remainder of the week following the holiday. For example, if Monday is a holiday and Monday is your trash day, your trash will be collected on Tuesday. If Tuesday is your trash day, your trash will be collected on Wednesday, and so on.
Special Collection Programs
In addition to the weekly curbside collection services, District solid waste customers are eligible for the following special collection programs:
- Large Item Collection: up to three (3) Large Item Pickups per calendar year
- Household Hazardous Waste Collection: Up to three (3) Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) pickups per calendar year
- Sharps Disposal: drop box sites and doorstep pickup
- Medication Disposal: drop box sites and safe destruction instructions
- American Flag Retirement: drop box site
- Christmas Tree Recycling: curbside collection
Green Guide For Green Living
The Green Guide is a resource for residents that are looking to reduce waste, increase household recycling, and safely dispose of different types of waste. We encourage you to download the guide by clicking on the links below.
Questions or Requests?
If you have any trash related questions or requests, please use the following resources:
- For service requests, such as reporting a missed pickup or requesting a large item pickup, please submit a request online.
- To find answers to commonly asked questions, please visit our Solid Waste FAQs page.
- If you're unable to find an answer to your question, please contact District staff at (949) 645-8400 during our business hours or email us.